1. Abbott, M., Cohen, B., 2009. Productivity and efficiency in the water industry, Utilities Policy, 130, 233–44.
2. Ali, M.K., Klein, k.k., 2014. Water Use Efficiency and Productivity of the Irrigation Districts in Southern Alberta, Water Resources Management, 28, 2751–2766.
3. Araujo, L.S., Ramos, H., Coelho, T., 2006. Pressure control for leakage minimization in water distribution systems management, Water Resources Management, 20, 133–49.
4. Bagatin, R., Klemeš, J.J., Reverberi, A.P., Huisingh, D., 2014. Conservation and Improvements in Water Resource Management: a Global Challenge, Cleaner Production, 77, 1–7.
5. Banker, R.D., Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., 1984. Some Models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis, Management Science, 30, 1078–92.
6. Bian, Y., Yang, F., 2010. Resource and environment efficiency analysis of provinces in China: a DEA approach based on Sannon’s entropy, Energy Policy, 38, 1909–17.
7. Blokker, E.J.M., Vreeburg, J.H.G., van Dijk, J.C., 2010. Simulating residential water demand with a stochastic end-use model, Water Resource Planning Management, 136, 19–26.
8. Brandt, M., Middleton, R., Wheale, G., Schulting, F., 2011..Energy efficiency in the water industry, a Global Research Project., Water Practice Technology, 6.
9. Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Rhodes, E., 1978. Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, European Journal of Operational Research, 2, 429–444.
10. Cherchye, L., Kuosmanen, T., Post, T., 2000. New tools for dealing with errors-in-variables in DEA, Catholic University of Leuven, Technical report.
11. Colombo, A.F., Karney, B.W., 2002. Energy and costs of leaky pipes: toward comprehensive picture, Water Resources Planning and Management, 128, 441–50.
12. Elias-Maxil, J.A., van der Hoek, J.P., Hofman, J., Rietveld, L., 2014. Energy in the urban water cycle: actions to reduce the total expenditure of fossil fuels with emphasis on heat reclamation from urban water, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, 30, 808–20.
13. Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Norris, M., Zhang, Z., 1994. Productivity growth, technical progress, and efficiency change in industrialized countries. American Economic Review, 84, 66–83.
14. Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Roos, P., 1998. Malmquist productivity indexes: a survey of theory and practice, in Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Russell, R. (editors) (1998) Index numbers: essays in honour of Sten Malmquist, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
15. Farrell, M.J., 1957. The Measurement of Productive Efficiency, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 120, series A, Part III, 253–90.
16. Frija A., Chebil A., Speelman S., Buysse J., Huylenbroeck V.G., 2009. Water use and technical efficiencies in horticultural greenhouses in Tunisia, Agriculture Water Management, 96, 1509–1516.
17. Hollingsworth, B., 2004. Non Parametric Efficiency Measurement, Economic Journal, 114, 307–311.
18. Huang, G.H., Loucks, D.P., 2000. An inexact two-stage stochastic programming model for water resources management under uncertainty, Civil Engineering & Environmental Systems, 17, 95–118.
19. Hu, J., Wang, S., Yeh, F., 2006. Total-factor water efficiency of regions in China, Resources Policy, 31, 217–30.
20. Iran ministry of energy (IMOE), 2013. Iran energy balance sheet 2012, department of power and energy, office macro planning of electric energy, Tehran, Iran, available from http://pep.moe.gov.ir/, accessed 02 June 2015.
21. Lovell, C.A.K., 1993. Production Frontiers and Productive Efficiency, in Fried HO and SS Schmidt (eds.) the Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications, Oxford U.K., pp. 3–67.
22. Neely, A., Gregory, M., Platts, K., 2005. Performance measurement system design: a literature review and research agenda. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 25, 1228–63.
23. Plappally, A.K., Lienhard, J.H., 2012. Energy requirements for water production, treatment, end use, reclamation and disposal, Renewable Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, 4818–48.
24. Song, M., Wang, Sh., Liu, W., 2014. A two-stage DEA approach for environmental efficiency measurement, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 186, 3041–3051.
25. Speelman S., D’Haese M., Buysse J., 2008. A measure for the efficiency of water use and its determinants, a case study of small-scale irrigation schemes in North-West Province, South Africa. Agriculture systems, 98, 31–39.
26. Statistical Center of Iran (SCI), 2014. Iran statistical yearbook 2013, statistics by topic, regional accounts, Tehran, Iran, available from http://www.amar.org.ir/, accessed 02 June 2015.
27. Sun, C., Zhao, L., Zou, W., Zheng, D., 2014. Water resource utilization efficiency and spatial spillover effects in China, Geographical Sciences, 24, 771–788.
28. Tehran regional water Company (TRWC), 2014. Season reports, office basic studies of water resources, Tehran, Iran, available from http://www.thrw.ir/, accessed 07 June 2015.
29. Tehran water supply and water and wastewater treatment Company (TWSWWT), 2014, operation reports, Tehran, Iran, available from http://tww.tpww.co.ir/, accessed 02 June 2015.
30. Tupper. H.C., Resende., M., 2004. Efficiency and regulatory issues in the Brazilian water and sewage sector: an empirical study, Utilities Policy, 12, 29–40.
31. United Nations World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP), 2014. The United Nations World Water Development Report 2014: Water and Energy, UNESCO, Paris.
32. Van der Stede, W., Chow, C.W., Lin, T.W., 2006. Strategy, choice of performance measures, and performance, Behavioral Research in Accounting, 18, 185–205.
33. Vilanova, M.R.N., Filho, P.M., Balestieri, J.A.P., 2015. Performance measurement and indicators for water supply management: Review and international cases, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 43, 1–12.
34. Walter, M., Cullmann, A., von Hirschhausen, C., Wand, R., Zschille, M., 2009. Quo vadis efficiency analysis of water distribution? A comparative literature review, Utilities Policy, 17, 225–32.
35. World Bank, 2009. Water in the Arab World: Management Perspectives and Innovations. N. V. Jagannathan, A. S. Mohamed and A. Kremer (eds). Washington DC, The World Bank.
36. Zhou. P., Ang, B.W., Poh, K.L., 2008. A survey of data envelopment analysis in energy and environmental studies, European Journal of Operational Research, 189, 1–18.