عنوان مقاله [English]
Investigating species diversity and richness is essential for defining conservation priorities. In addition, determining landscape parameters influencing species diversity and richness is important for selecting and designing parks and protected areas. Kohgiluyeh & Boyer Ahmad Province is a mountainous region, comprises hills, mounds, forests and plains. This vast province has high species diversity and six protected areas, including Dena, Khayyz and Sorkh, Eastern Dena, Khamyn, Daele and Solak, have been established to maintain this diversity. The present study aimed to compare species diversity and richness of the six protected areas and investigate the influence of area, size and shape on bird species richness and diversity. Overall, 52 bird species were recorded. The maximum values of species diversity and richness belonged to Dena Protected Area and the minimum values were obtained for Solak Protected Area. Linear regression analysis revealed the positive effect of area and the negative effect of shape on bird species richness and diversity. Due to the increasing habitat destructions which restricted the conservation of biodiversity to protected areas, it is necessary to prevent further reduction of perimeter to area ratio with an effort to increase area size. This might help to better manage and protect the biodiversity of Kohgiluyeh & Boyer Ahmad province.
- Bailey, D., Schmidt-Entling, M.H., Eberhart, P., Herrmann, J.D., Hofer, G., Kormann, U. and Herzog, F., 2010. Effects of habitat amount and isolation on biodiversity in fragmented traditional orchards. Journal of Applied Ecology 47(5), 1003-1013.
- Bibby, C,. Burgess, N., Hill, D., Mustoe, S., 2000. Bird Census Techniques, second Edition, Academic Press, London, 302 p.
- Bibi, F., Ali, Z., 2013. Measurment of diversity indices of avian communities at Taunsa Barrage wildlife sanctury, Pakiatan. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences 23(2), 469-474.
- Brooks, T.M., Mittermeier, R.A., da Fonseca, A.B., Gerlach, J., Hoffmann, M., Lamoreux, J.F., Mittermeier, C.G., Pilgrim, J.D., 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 31, 358-361.
- Chape, S., Harrison, J., Spalding, M. and Lysenko.I., 2005. Measuring the extent and effectiveness of protected areas as an indicator for meeting global biodiversity targets. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360, 443-455.
- Cook, R.D., 1979. Influential observations in linear regression. American Statistical Association 74,169-174.
- De Klerk, H.M., Fjeldsa, J., Blyth, S. and Burgess, N.D., 2004. Gaps in the protected area network for threatened Afrotropical birds. Biological Conservation 117, 529-537.
- De Benedictis, 1973. On the correlations between certain diversity indices. American Naturalist 107, 295–302.
- DOE, 2006. Atlas of Protected Areas of Iran. Tehran, Department of Envirinment, (in Persian).
Ejtehadi, H., Sepehri, A., Akafi, H., 2009. Methods of Measuring Biodiversity. Mashad, Ferdowsi Mashad University, (in Persian) 226 p.
- Evans, K.L., Rodrigues, A.S.L., Chown, S.L., Gaston, K.J., 2006. Protected areas and regional avian species richness in South Africa. Biology Letter 2, 184-188.
- Fakhimi, E., Mesdaghi, M., Gholami, P., Naderi, H., 2011. The effect of some topographical properties in plant diversity in steppic rangelands of Nodushan, Yazd Province, Iran. Iranian journal of Range and Desert Reseach 18(3), 408-419, (in Persian).
- Ferris, R., Humphrey, J.W., 1999. A review of potential biodiversity indicators for application in British forest. Journal of forestry 72(4), 313-328.
- Helzer, C.J., Jelinski, D.E., 1999. The relative importance of patch area and perimeter–area ratio to grassland breeding birds. Ecological Applications 9(4), 1448-1458.
- Hemami, M.R., Zaeri, A., 2011. The influence of urban park size and shape on birds species richness: Case study: Parks of Isfahan. Journal of Environmental studies 59, 55-62, (in Persian).
- Hortal, J., Triantis, K.A., Meiri, S., Thebault, E., Sfenthourakis, S., 2009. Island species richness increases with habitat diversity. American Natrulist 174, 205-217.
- Hostetler, M.E., Main, M.B., 2011. Transect method for surveying birds. WEC155, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, University of Florida, available at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu, Accessed 15th June 2013.
- IUCN, 2012. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, available at: http://www.iucnredlist.org/. Accessed 1st June 2013
- Johnson, M., 2007. Measuring habitat quality: a review. The Condor 109, 489-504.
- Kadmon, R., Allouche, O., 2007. Integrating the effects of area, isolation, and habitat heterogeneity on species diversity: A unification of island biogeography and niche theory. American Natrulist 170, 443–454.
- Karimzadeh, A., Jafarian, Z., Ghorbani, J., Akbarzadeh, M., 2012. Analysis of the relationship between species diversity and environmental factors using multivariate analysis (case study: Sorkhdeh rangelands of Semnan, Iran). Journal of Range and Watershed Management 65(1), 131-143, (in Persian).
- Khaliladadi, S., Hemami, M.R., Kaboli, M., Matinkhah, H., Soffianian, A.R., 2012. The influence of wood lands' size and shape on birds' richness and diversity in Karkas protected area. Journal of Applied Ecology 1,44-51, (in Persian).
- Khera, N., Mehta, V., Sabata, B.C., 2009. Interrelationship of birds and habitat features in urban green spaces in Delhi, India. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 8,187–196.
- Kilgo, J.C., Gartner, D.L., Chapman, B.R., Dunning, J.B., 2002. A test of an expert-based bird habitat relationship model in South Carolina. Wildlife Society Bulletin 30(3), 783-793.
- Krebs, C.J., 1999. Ecological Methodology. 2nd. Edition, Wesley Longman, NY, USA, 480 P.
- Lomolino, M.V., 2000. A call for a new paradigm of island biogeography. Global Ecology and Biogeography 9(1),1-6.
- Mac Arthur, R.H., Wilson, E.O., 1967. The Theory of Island Biogeography, Princeton University Press, 203 p.
- Magurran, A.E., 1988. Ecological Diversity and its Measurement, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 179 p.
- Mahmoodi, J., 2007. The study of species diversity in plant ecological groups in Kelarabad protected forest. Iranian Journal of Biology 20, 353-362, (in Persian).
- Mansoori, J., 2010. Field Guide to the Birds of Iran. Thehran, Farzaneh Book Pub, 513 p.
- Martensen, A.C., Pimentel, R.G., Metzger, J.P., 2008. Relative effects of fragment size and connectivity on bird community in the Atlantic rain forest: Implications for conservation. Biological Conservation 141(9), 2184-2192.
- Martinez-Morales, M.A., 2005. Landscape patterns influencing bird assemblages in a fragmented neotropical cloud forest. Biological Conservation 121,117-126.
- Mühlner, S., Kormann, U., Schmidt-Entling, M., Herzog, F., Bailey, D., 2010. Structural versus functional habitat connectivity measures to explain bird diversity in fragmented orchards. Journal of Landscape Ecology 3, 52.
- Noss, R.F., Copperrider, A., 1993. The Gap analysis as applied conservation biology. Gap Analysis Bulletin 3, 3-5.
- Rivard, D.H., Poitevin, J., Plasse, D., Carleton, M., Currie, D.J., 2000. Changing species richness and composition in Canadian national parks. Conservation Biology 141099-1109.
- Shanahan, D.F., Miller, C., Possingham, H.P., Fuller, R.A., 2011. The influence of patch area and connectivity on avian communities in urban revegetation. Biological Conservation 144(2), 722-729.
- Shannon, C.E., Wiener, W., 1949. The mathematical theory of communication, University of Illinois press, 144 pp.
- Soulé, M.E., Simberloff, D.S., 1986. What do genetics and ecology tell us about the design of nature reserves. Biological Conservation 35(1), 19-40.
- Sritharan, S., Burgess, N.D., 2012. Protected area gap analysis of important bird areas in Tanzania. African Journal of Ecology 50(1), 66-76.
- Stirling, G., Wilsey, B., 2001. Empirical relationships between species richness, evenness, and proportional diversity. American Natrulist 158(3), 286-299.
- Sympson, E.H., 1949. Measurement of diversity. Nature 163, 688.
- UN, 1992. Convention on Biological Diversity. United Nations Conference. on Environment and Development. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: United Nations.
- Varasteh, H., Sheikhi, S., Keivanloo, A., Mahmoodi, S., 2011. Edge effect on density of bird community (Case study: Sad Abad forest, Gorgan). National Conference on Environmental Sciences and Sustainable Development, 29 December, Malayer, Iran, (in Persian).
- Watson, J.E.M., Whittaker, R.J., Dawson, T.P., 2004. Habitat structure and proximity to forest edge affect the abundance and distribution of forest-dependent birds in tropical coastal forests of southeastern Madagascar. Biological Conservation 120, 311-327.
- Yahner, R.H., 1988. Changes in wildlife communities near edges. Conservation Biology 2, 333-339.